Date:      Wed, 12 Jul 2000 13:04:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        brian@Awfulhak.org
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: **HEADS UP** if you used to cvsup the crypto repo from internat !

In article <200007121405.PAA11870@hak.lan.Awfulhak.org>,
Brian Somers  <brian@Awfulhak.org> wrote:
> I haven't looked into it too deeply yet because of other source tree
> problems, but if you used to get your crypto ,v files from internat,
> you will suffer some funny problems unless you nuke the old checked-out
> files.
[...]
> The problem occurs when you cvsup the new crypto-in-src-all sources
> and replace RCS files with different contents and the same version
> number.  cvs update/checkout compares the repo version number against
> the checked out version number and considers the file an ``M''
> (modified source).  The file isn't updated and your world gets
> corrupted.

One thing I'd like to stress is that this only affects you if you're
getting the CVS files (*,v) and then using the cvs command to check
them out and/or update them.  If you are using CVSup in checkout mode
(*default tag=something) then you don't need to do anything special.

> This is probably a candidate for UPDATING.

That wouldn't hurt.  But it actually affects _all_ branches, I
believe.  So in a way, UPDATING doesn't cover enough ground.

John