Date:      Sun, 16 Jul 2000 22:54:10 -0400
From:      Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        cvs-committers@FreeBSD.ORG, cvs-all@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/share/man/man9 style.9

On Mon, Jul 17, 2000 at 11:31:09AM +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:
> For me, brackets are '(' and ')'.  '[' and ']' are square brackets,
> and '<' and '>' are angle brackets.  '{' and '}' are braces.  I'm sure
> I'm not alone, and there are probably other naming conventions for
> these symbols.  It would make sense to spell out what the man page
> means.

A possibly unambigous set of terms?:

'(' and ')':  parenthesis
'[' and ']':  square brackets
'<' and '>':  angle brackets
'{' and '}':  curly braces

When someone says "put brackets around that", I'm also unsure what
they meant, because I've seen the word used for all four sets of
characters.  Same thing with "braces".  There are probably some
hideously officious ISO names for these.
--
Christopher Masto         Senior Network Monkey      NetMonger Communications
chris@netmonger.net        info@netmonger.net        http://www.netmonger.net

Free yourself, free your machine, free the daemon -- http://www.freebsd.org/