Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 2000 14:08:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Richard Stanaford <rsstan@yahoo.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Assembler probs and 4.1-RELEASE...

Hello everyone,

I saw a message posted earlier regarding assembler problems while compiling
BIOS code either during a kernel build or a Buildworld.  I too am having such a
problem.

I was attempting to build a kernel and got some spam regarding invalid
assembler instructions while dealing with a file in /tmp.  I apologize for
being vague, but it's currently hard to grab a dump of the output for the
email.

I figured I had run in to a bad install when I put 4.0-RELEASE on the system,
so I CVSup'ed using RELENG_4 and built the world, which succeeded.  The ensuing
'buildkernel' failed for the same reason.  I thought that, perhaps, my NOVA
conf file was wacky so I ran 'buildkernel' with GENERIC and it died too for the
same reason.

*Shrug*  I'm at a loss.  I initially did a binary only install of 4.0-RELEASE
and have since added the additional distros such as the name pages and
documentation *before* trying to go STABLE.  I figure I somehow mangled
something and am considering a full reinstallation but I am curious about the
impending rollout of 4.1-RELEASE.  Since I have not seen a code freeze
initiated  yet, is that still "a ways" off?

If there are any suggestions to help me deal with the apparent assembler
problem I would appreciate them before I wipe the install, which I'll probably
do anyway because I planned out the filesystems wrong... doh!

Thanks for the info,
-Richard