Date:      Thu, 20 Jul 2000 09:33:05 +0200
From:      Udo Schweigert <ust@cert.siemens.de>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>, Gavin Cameron <gavin@itworks.com.au>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   What does -RC mean? was: Re: Stable broken

On Thu, Jul 20, 2000 at 00:11:08 -0700, Kent Stewart wrote:

> Kris Kennaway wrote:

> > > /sbin/ipf
> >
> > Yes, and if you'd been following -stable you'd have saved yourself the
> > trouble. I've committed one more patch which I hope will fix things now
> > (for the record, it wasn't me who broke all this ;-) My buildworld is
> > still underway, so I won't be sure for an hour or so.
>
> I thought the whole world was follow you all. Everytime you thought it
> was fixed all of the US cvsup sites that I use hit their limit :). I
> had never been rejected by cvsup7 until tonight.

This is due to the fact that the in ports tree the tag RELEASE_4_1_0 has
been added and so cvsup takes much longer since each file in the ports tree
has to be changed.

Anyway: it is a little bit annoying that the -stable branch keeps to be broken
especially since it is labeled as a "release candidate" (4.1-RC). To my
understanding a "release candidate" should only be changed if serious problems
are detected (and not, for example, to bring in ipfilter update to -current and
-stable at the same time, without testing period in -current). I thought having
a release candidate should ensure that the final release is as stable as can be.
Every change to the release candidate would normally result in a restart of the
testing period.

Other oppinions out there?

Regards
--
Udo Schweigert, Siemens AG   | Voice      : +49 89 636 42170
ZT IK 3, Siemens CERT        | Fax        : +49 89 636 41166