Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 2000 17:20:19 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@math.missouri.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>
Subject:   Re: Innacurate statements in handbook about buildkernel

On Sat 2000-07-22 (10:06), Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
> In the handbook in
> http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/kernelconfig-building.html
> it says:
>
> When you are finished, type the following to compile and install your
> kernel if you are using FreeBSD prior FreeBSD 4.0 and don't want to
> upgrade to FreeBSD 4.0 or higher with this step.
>
> .... usual config method
>
> For FreeBSD 4.x or later (or upgrading from FreeBSD 3.x to FreeBSD 4.x or
> higher), use the following commands (be sure you have built world before!):
>
> .... new make buildworld method
>

> Clearly, this is not going to work if the user using a release version
> of freebsd and has not loaded all the sources (the instructions
> currently tell him/her to only load the sys portion of the sources).
> Then the user should use the config method.

'make buildkernel' works without a populated /usr/obj tree, and with
only the /usr/src/sys tree and /usr/src/Makefile and
/usr/src/Makefile.inc.  I know because I just tried it.

The only thing that needs to change is the setting of OBJFORMAT_PATH
from ${WORLDTMP}/usr/libexec to ${WORLTMP}/usr/libexec:/usr/libexec.

What do you think, Marcel?

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner