Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 2000 08:04:37 +0100
From:      David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        Gregory Bond <gnb@itga.com.au>
Cc:        Cyrille Lefevre <clefevre@citeweb.net>, Vivek Khera <khera@kciLink.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rdist and pam

On Thu, Jul 27, 2000 at 10:49:55AM +1000, Gregory Bond wrote:

> If you're going to start installing packages, rsync is a much more efficient
> solution than rdist, and rsync-over-ssh works just fine.

We're working on some patches which makes rdist much faster over
ssh (about four times faster for our local use). Rsync is fine for
some stuff, but it isn't really a replacement for rdist. Some of
the more recent versions of rsync also seem to have problems with
some versions of ssh too.

(We were going to try to write a rdist/rsync cross but found another
way around the problem).

	David.