Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 2000 17:33:57 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
Cc:        Wolfgang Zenker <wolfgang@lyxys.ka.sub.org>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Innacurate statements in handbook about buildkernel

On Wed 2000-07-26 (20:27), Chad R. Larson wrote:
> As I recall, Wolfgang Zenker wrote:
> > But isn't the whole point of the buildkernel method to build the
> > kernel using the new tools you just created in /usr/obj?  If i got
> > this right i think you actually WANT a buildkernel without an existing
> > /usr/obj to fail, hopefully with a message to please make buildworld
> > first.
>
> That's how it sounds to me.

That's wrong.  'make buildkernel' should DTRT in all situations.  Maybe
it doesn't yet, but it should.

> We've also created a situation where space-limited folks =can't=
> update just kernel sources.

As I said originally, one doesn't need a populated /usr/obj to do a
'make buildkernel', with only one minor exception.  Also note we
officially "don't support" out-of-sync kernel and userland, but we
do allow people to shoot themselves in the foot.

> Or be pretty smart about the innards of the build process and the
> filesystem layout--exactly the skills the person who installed kernel
> sources only 'cause he wanted to make a customized kernel won't have.

That's why 'make buildkernel' should always work.

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner
Sunesi Clinical Systems