Date:      Fri, 04 Aug 2000 14:07:29 -0700
From:      bmah@cisco.com (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        Tarik Alj <aljtarik@cholla.inrs-telecom.uquebec.ca>
Cc:        archie@whistle.com, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/netinet tcp_output.c

--==_Exmh_2103521206P

If memory serves me right, Tarik Alj wrote:

> >Hmm.. Can you explain what "RED" is and how the change breaks it?
>
> RED stands for Random Early Detection, you can find more info about it (at le
> ast
> a bunch of pointers) from: [http://www.aciri.org/floyd/red.html].

To answer the other half of the question, I think the problem is that if
the queue is full, the committed patch calls to drop the latest outbound
packet.  That's the definition of "drop tail".

A RED queue would drop a random packet from the full queue.  The idea,
in a really handwavy way, is that flows with many packets enqueued are
more susceptable to having something dropped.  If you can get those
flows to back off (e.g. TCP congestion control), that'll hopefully
have the most effect of alleviating the congestion in the queue.

Garrett is probably right in a purist sense, but if no one's going to
have RED in the stack (e.g. ALTQ) it seems this patch fixes at least
*something*.

Bruce.

PS.  Hi Archie!

--==_Exmh_2103521206P