Date:      Thu, 17 Aug 2000 10:40:53 -0400
From:      Xiaowei Yang <yxw@mit.edu>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   how to set nmbufs

Greetings, everyone,

I am doing some simulation that needs to allocate as many nmbufs as
possible. I could not figure out how to set nmbufs to be the maximum
value allowd by my physical memory. I tired to mannual set it to be a
huge number, for example, 128MB/128B=1M (I have 196M memory) and used
netstat -m to monitor the real allocated nmbufs. However, when it
reached some value lower that a 1M, a kernel page fault happened.

It seems to me I also need to increase the maximum kernel memory size
seperately. Can someone tell me how to do it right? Is there a simple
formula to estimate the number?

Thanks,

Xiaowei