Date:      Fri, 18 Aug 2000 13:34:36 -0700
From:      Randy Primeaux <randy@Cloudfactory.ORG>
To:        Michael Matsumura <michael@limit.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ps2 mouse errors (solution)

The ps2 mouse error issue is documented in the FAQ.
Certain wheelmouse and trackball products use a PS/2 SYNC protocol.
SYNC is not needed to operate these products, however.

http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/x.html#AEN3087
http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/hardware.html#PSMERR
man psm

For my specific issue, I turned on NOCHECKSYNC for my trackball.
These are my 3-STABLE kernel config entries:

# psm 0x100 NOCHECKSYNC
# man psm - bit 8 NOCHECKSYNC for ThinkingMouse on KVM.
device          psm0    at isa? tty flags 0x100 irq 12

At my desk, I have a Kensington ExpertMouse ps/2 trackball, a KVM, and
3-STABLE (post 3.5-RELEASE).  I'll soon be running an additional pair of
4-STABLE boxen on that KVM.  For those of you with a MSWIN9x box on a
KVM, use the standard ps/2 mouse driver to prevent the same issue.

The FreeBSD FAQ and Kensington get credit for guiding me to this solution.

In my opinion, I do not see this as a flaw in psm, as the flag is
documented in the man page, and FreeBSD psm is not the only software
with this issue.  Other mouse software, on other OS platforms, also
lose ps/2 sync through a keyboard-video-mouse switch.

--
Randy Primeaux
randy@cloudfactory.org         http://cloudfactory.org/~randy/