Date:      Thu, 24 Aug 2000 08:04:19 -0500
From:      David McNett <nugget@slacker.com>
To:        FreeBSD Stable List <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Upcoming rc.conf changes not loading certain currently loaded daemons

On 24-Aug-2000, Francisco Reyes wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Aug 2000 10:11:03 +0200 (SAST), fingers wrote:
> >but the first thing I do is disable them and kill 'em dead.
>
> Perhaps this could be an installation flag.

Personally, I think the change is a wonderful move.  I frankly find it to
be a bit of an embarassment to see FreeBSD installing out of the box with
such protocols as telnet and rexec running by default.  Ideally, I'd like
to see the installer properly force the determination of USA_RESIDENT and
install the appropriate rsaref / librsaintl libraries so a fresh install
could sshd_enable="YES" in /etc/defaults/rc.conf

If someone insists on using those antiquated and unsafe protocols like
telnet and the r* services, we should at least make sure they're doing it
on purpose and not just leaving the defaults in place out of ignorance.