Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 2000 03:26:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@pike.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        Alexey Zelkin <phantom@cris.crimea.ua>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: NO vs NO_

[ moved to -arch, the home of all bikeshed arguments ]

Alexey Zelkin wrote:
> hi,
>
> looks like it's time to rehash "NO vs NO_" theme. Any objections
> against changing all occurences of "NO_*" variables in src/'s Makefiles
> to "NO*" ? Since "NO*" variables is mostly used in tree I think we should
> go in this way to avoid lots "empty" patches.

The reason many of us have been adding NO_* instead of NO* is to improve
readability.  As someone else has pointed out, the NO_'s outnumber NO in
make.conf anyways, so if you are going to make a change, go to NO_*.

There is also a precedent for using _'s in make variables in other
variable names as well:

MAKE_KERBEROS4
MAKE_KERBEROS5
MACHINE_ARCH