Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 2000 11:28:00 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: build tools as separate distribution

In message <xzp3djn9h2o.fsf@flood.ping.uio.no> Dag-Erling Smorgrav writes:
: What would the good people think of moving gcc, gas, ld etc., as well
: as include files and static libraries out of the bin dist and into a
: separate distribution, called e.g. prog or devel? There are a lot of
: cases (e.g. firewalls, mail gateways) where you neither need nor want
: build tools, and PicoBSD is sometimes too radical. This would provide
: a sort of middle path between the too-minimalist PicoBSD and the
: not-minimalist-enough bin dist we have today.

I would like this idea.  The up side is that it saves about 100MB of
space, iirc.  The down side is that minimal is no longer able to build
a kernel, which is why they were in there to start with.

I'd like this idea.

On a related note, I have a bunch of scripts for producing relatively
small systems (on the order of 16MB), but they do lack most of common
utilities that aren't needed to boot or to use the network.  You can
shave another 4MB off of this by dynamically linking /bin and /sbin.
Of course, when you do that, / and /usr must be on the same partition.
For our systems, this isn't a big deal (although I don't enable this
at the moment).  I think that you can shave another 1M or two by
rewriting the rc scripts.  Oh, and you can save 1M by using a
minimized termcap.

If I had 8MB parts to worry about, I'd try to get an uncompressed
FreeBSD to fit into them.  As it is, we have 32MB and 64MB parts,
which are big enough that I don't need to worry.

Warner