Date:      Tue, 05 Sep 2000 09:12:01 -0700
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: affordable wireless

"Sameer R. Manek" <manek@ecst.csuchico.edu> wrote:

> Does anyone have any suggestions on how to have 802.11 wireless for home
> users? Naturally it should be supported by FreeBSD. Configuruation can be
> done on any pc os though.
>
> My only affordable solution so far is to use the Apple AirPort base station,
> and wavelan pcmcia cards, but I don't know if they can co-exist, and the
> AirPort needs a Macintosh to configure. My idea of affordable for this is
> less then $500, the lucent wavelan solution works out to about $900 startup,
> that's a little out of my budget.

     Just to let everyone know: I should be getting a TechWorks
(Buffalo) AirStation in the next couple of days, and I'll be adding it
to my FreeBSD Wireless documentation.  A co-worker got one, and we
played with it briefly; it doesn't look too bad.  It's an actual base
station (does not work in ad-hoc mode).  I don't know if it supports
NAT/DHCP though, although bridging appears to work fine.  Other
comments:

* Configuration is done via a web browser (bleah).

* Only supports 40-bit encryption.  Don't know if it's like the AirPort
  when it comes to the 128-bit encryption upgrade, though.

* Keys can be entered as hex (yes!).

* The $279 model doesn't have a modem.  With a modem, it's $299 (the
  same as the AirPort).

* It works fine with my Lucent Orinoco (WaveLan) gold card (we didn't
  try enabling encryption, though).

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@soco.agilent.com