Date:      Fri, 15 Sep 2000 14:35:50 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
Cc:        Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>, Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Rsh/Rlogin/Rcmd & friends

In message <Pine.SUN.3.91.1000915165626.99A-100000@pcnet1.pcnet.com>,
Daniel Ei
schen writes:

> > > Wrong.  If that were true tcsh wouldn't be in the base system today.
> >
> > You misinterpreted me.  I meant in this specific case, post-install
> > operation doesn't matter.  People can use ssh to get in the machines to
> > do things rsh/rlogin/rcmd offer.
>
> No, you haven't proven to me that removal of rsh/rlogin/rcmd doesn't
> break anything like remote backups.  As Steve Kargl wrote:
>
> > > What are the consequences of your proposal with the use of
> > > rdump/rrestore from another (non-FreeBSD) machine into a
> > > tape drive equipped FreeBSD box?
>
> To me that means that something that use to work "out of the box" will
> not work without adding the necessary port(s).  Sure, you can argue that
> you can easily install the port, but the same could be said to folks
> that wanted tcsh as their default shell.

So what!  That's the price of security.  I believe that the
telnet/ftp/"r" commands shouldn't even be ports.  We need to make it
difficult to install unsafe software on the system.  That way the admin
would have to go to all the trouble to find the source for unsafe
software somewhere on the Net, port it, and install it.  Then it's not
FreeBSD's fault if that admin's system is compromised.

Team Leader, Sun/DEC Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC