Date:      Sun, 17 Sep 2000 16:00:06 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Roman Shterenzon <roman@harmonic.co.il>
Cc:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>, pahowes@fair-ware.com, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Makeworld is dying...

On Sunday, 17 September 2000 at  9:24:47 +0300, Roman Shterenzon wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Sep 2000, Kent Stewart wrote:
>> "Paul A. Howes" wrote:
>>>
>>> All-
>>>
>>> When I attempt a buildworld on a brand new FreeBSD system (IBM/Cyrix-166+,
>>> 64MB memory, 20GB Maxtor drive), it dies while building the ncurses library.
>>> This happen whether it's the version of the source code on the 4.1 CD-Rom
>>> disc, or the latest and greatest 4-STABLE code from a cvsup.  Any help would
>>> be appreciated.  The tail of the trace log is included below.
>>
>> Signal 11's during a buildworld are usually caused by memory and a few
>> things such as cpu cooling. I finished a buildworld at 1:30 PDT (about
>> 2 hours before your message arrived) and I didn't have any problems.
>> Do you have another 64MB of memory that you could switch as a test of
>> your memory.
>
> Perhaps we should add an entry to a FAQ (if it's not already there),
> describing the problem, and, a good indication of a bad ram or undercooled
> cpu would be trying buildworld couple of times (without -DNOCLEAN) and
> watch where it fails.
> If it fails in different places - then it's almost sure hardware problem,
> if it fails in the same place, it's still can be a hardware problem, for
> example some c++ file which demands more memory then others to compile.
> Can someone add it to FAQ, or shall I fill a PR? :)

No.

What you *should* do before sending out a reply like this is to check
whether it's really in the FAQ or not.  It is
(http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/troubleshoot.html#AEN1570):

Q: My programs occasionally die with Signal 11 errors.

A: This can be caused by bad hardware (memory, motherboard, etc.). Try
   running a memory-testing program on your PC. Note that, even though
   every memory testing program you try will report your memory as
   being fine, it's possible for slightly marginal memory to pass all
   memory tests, yet fail under operating conditions (such as during
   bus mastering DMA from a SCSI controller like the Adaptec 1542,
   when you're beating on memory by compiling a kernel, or just when
   the system's running particularly hot).

   The SIG11 FAQ (listed below) points up slow memory as being the
   most common problem. Increase the number of wait states in your
   BIOS setup, or get faster memory.

   For me the guilty party has been bad cache RAM or a bad on-board
   cache controller. Try disabling the on-board (secondary) cache in
   the BIOS setup and see if that solves the problem.

   There's an extensive FAQ on this at the (link) SIG11 problem FAQ

Now you *could* consider better wording of the text.  This entry
belies its age by the hardware it refers to.

Greg