Date:      Fri, 22 Sep 2000 21:41:52 +0200
From:      Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Framebuffer driver?

On Fri, Sep 22, 2000 at 16:52 +0300, Panagiotis Astithas wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 22, 2000 at 03:44:14PM +0200, Graham Wheeler wrote:
> >
> > [ ... Linux' fb driver (VGA text modes) ... ]
> >
> > That feature is the VESA framebuffer driver for the console,
> > which allows me to run my 800x600 LCD screen as a 100x35
> > console, with a very readable font (better than any of the
> > ones I've used on FreeBSD at 80x25). I
>
> Have you tried vidcontrol VESA_800x600 or vidcontrol 132x60
> under FreeBSD?

It does turn on the 800x600 video mode.  But it still leaves the
ugly 80x25 text mode running in a smallish window, leaving the
less comfortable to read text font, having a lot of unused border
space around the actual text screen.  At least that what it does
here (seen on several notebooks, whenever I get my hands on these
I have them running FreeBSD for a while -- until they leave and
are to do some other things:).

Unless I missed something really obvious, there's no such thing
as a 100x37 or 100x40 text mode in FreeBSD.  My search at the
FreeBSD website only pointed towards X related topics or splash
screen logos.  But I would be happy to be proved wrong. :>

The magic Linux word is "fbset" which provides the ability to
configure text modes accessed very much in the way X "modelines"
work.  This means that virtually _anything_ is possible.  The
other advantage is that fb mode might be slower than native
gpaphics chipset acceleration, but the Xfb server runs
*everywhere* -- just like the ancient Xmono server did, even if
the VGA server refused to work.

virtually yours   82D1 9B9C 01DC 4FB4 D7B4  61BE 3F49 4F77 72DE DA76
Gerhard Sittig   true | mail -s "get gpg key" Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net