Date:      Sat, 23 Sep 2000 19:43:38 -0700
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com>
To:        Andreas Braukmann <braukmann@tse-online.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Lucent Wavelan vs. wi-driver

Andreas Braukmann <braukmann@tse-online.de> wrote:

>  The pccardd recognizes the wavelan card and binds it (as expected)
>  to the the wi driver.
     [ ... ]
>  Bringing up the interface with ifconfig results in
>  "wi0: tx buffer allocation failed" messages.

     If you're seeing this, the driver initialization is failing.

>  This smells like kern/17821.
>
>  I was able to reproduce the behaviour with an ELSA AirLancer MC-11
>  from my "test pool", too.

     I'd guess that the problem is related to the PCMCIA chipset used in
the Vaio, as the bug report talks about a Vaio, too (although a
different model).  The wavelan card works fine in my Dell laptop
(4.0-STABLE and 4.1-RELEASE), and I'm sure that it works in other
laptops, too.

>  Any hints?

     It probably won't help, but you could post a verbose dmesg, as well
as the bootup console messages (many of which are NOT placed into dmesg
or /var/log/messages).  Capturing the console messages can be tricky, as
some programs run at bootup (pccardc in particular) print important
messages to stdout, which aren't captured in /var/log/messages or
dmesg.  If your syscons scrollback (SC_HISTORY_SIZE) is set large
enough, and you are using moused, you can scroll back and use the mouse
cut-and-paste to copy the console messages.

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@soco.agilent.com