Date:      Wed, 27 Sep 2000 11:06:58 +1100
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Bert Hiddink <hiddink@galileo.or.cr>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Taku YAMAMOTO <taku@cent.saitama-u.ac.jp>
Subject:   Re: ESS Maestro-1/2/2E driver for FreeBSD 4.1 release

On Monday, 25 September 2000 at 20:31:32 -0600, Bert Hiddink wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In order to get some sound of my Toshiba 2595 CDS, I tried to configure ESS Maestro-1/2/2E driver
> for FreeBSD 4.1 release.
>
> I saw from:
> http://access.cent.saitama-u.ac.jp/~taku/freebsd/maestro/newpcm/readme.html
> ... so I did:
>
> - Downloaded http://access.cent.saitama-u.ac.jp/~taku/freebsd/maestro/newpcm/20000906.tar.gz
>   and did a ´untar´, ´make´ and ´make install´
> - Added to /boot/loader.conf: maestro_load="YES"
> - Added ´device pcm´ to my ..conf/CUSTOM
> - Added ´options DEVFS´ to my ..conf/CUSTOM
> - Rebuild the CUSTOM kernel: seemed to work out OK (YES!!!)
> - When I do ´dmesg | grep pcm´
>            I see:
>           pcm0: <ESS Technology Maestro-2> port...on pci0

This isn't enough.  I'm currently chasing a similar problem on a
machine where sound used to work, and now doesn't.  I would get a
similar message with this method, but what I see in dmesg is in fact:

  pcm0: <CS4236> at port 0x52c-0x533 irq 10 drq 1 flags 0xa100 on isa0
  device_probe_and_attach: pcm0 attach returned 6

See that second line?  Error 6 is "device not configured" (look in
/usr/include/sys/errno.h for the error numbers).

> - Finally, I do in /dev    ´./MAKEDEV snd0´
>
> ...all the above seems OK but when I call xcdplayer in X-windows, I
> get "Device not configured¨...  and I am still without music!
>
> Did I overlook something? Did someone get this driver work with
> FreeBSD?

Others have reported success.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.