Date:      Fri, 6 Oct 2000 18:28:49 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: .net threat ?

On Fri, Oct 06, 2000 at 02:56:04AM +0100, j mckitrick wrote:

> >From what I have read lately, M$ just might be onto something with this .NET
> idea.   According to an article on Oreillynet, they are changing their
> approach, and this time learning from some of their past mistakes.  Does
> this have any great impact on the ongoing OS war?  Any thoughts?

Hmm, I don't know what .NET is (although I can guess) but your comment
about "changing their approach, and this time learning from some of their
past mistakes" is interesting. I've been on a (official M$) W2K course this
week and it seems that they've finally realized that if they want to play
on the 'net then they have to play by the established rules; TCP/IP is the
default/preferred network protocol and DNS/BIND is the default/preferred
name resolution protocol in W2K (WINS, NETBIOS, NETBUEI are still there but
only for legacy clients, e.g. Win95), and Kerberos authentication (although
they have slightly bastardized it by using an unused field without
publishing it's use).

I guess that they had expected the Microsoft Network to become bigger than
the Internet (due to the sheer number of Windows users) and so could make
their proprietary protocols the de facto standard, but since the Microsoft
Network was such a flop they've had to re-think their strategy.

They've also added some Unixisms as well; the 'runas' command (similar to
su(1)), you can boot to a single-user command line, and you can mount disks
(drive letters) on a directory a la mount(8) (although the dir *must* be
empty, so no over-mounting).

Don't get me wrong, it's still bloated fatware, but they finally seem to
(maybe grudgingly) acknowledging that other OSen have some good features.

> jcm
> --
> "I drank WHAT ?!" - Socrates

		4.4 - The number of the Beastie