Date:      Tue, 10 Oct 2000 21:21:35 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        "Sue Wainer" <wainer@sandgate.com>
Cc:        "Freebsd-Arch" <freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Ethernet Device Driver Modules

> I am trying to create an Ethernet Device Driver Module that I can load
> with kldload. I am assuming that the driver probe function will be entered
> when the module is loaded.

This will happen presuming your module itself has been correctly laid
out.  Without access to the sources for your module, that's hard to know.

> I have created a standard pci bus Ethernet driver, if_asic.c, modeled
> after drivers in /sys/pci. And, I have looked in /usr/share/examples/kld/
> cdev for an example.

These examples are extremely old.  Check any of the modules in sys/
modules for better examples.

> Attached is my Makefile. When compiling if_asic.c, I get undefines
> "device_if.h", etc. I have made a kernel image including my driver, and
> see where these files are placed in my config/MYBUILD/modules/....
> directory path. What am I missing in building my driver as a loadable
> module?

You need to list the relevant bus interface headers in your module
Makefile.  Again, check any of the other network interface modules' build
infrastructure for examples.  If you need more specific help, please feel
free to ask.

Regards,
Mike