Date:      Thu, 12 Oct 2000 14:18:31 -0400
From:      Bill Fumerola <billf@chimesnet.com>
To:        John Hay <jhay@icomtek.csir.co.za>
Cc:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>, Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <jruigrok@via-net-works.nl>, Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at>, John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>, Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/etc inetd.conf

On Thu, Oct 12, 2000 at 09:34:20AM +0200, John Hay wrote:

> I haven't seen patches go in that make the daily, weekly and monthly
> emails do that. :-) Also some mailers like elm assume a local
> sendmail or equivalent. So I think running it with -q30m by default
> is a good compromise. At least then mail won't just queue up in the
> queue with nobody the wiser.

Well on the subject of the daily/weekly/monthly e-mails, maybe they
should background a sleep SOMEREASONABLENUMBER && sendmail -q
so sendmail doesn't have to be running at all but the notifications
get sent out.

As to Jordan's response that "he gets them all the time", well I do
too, but if there happens to be some transient network failure at the
time (normally me fucking with the network during the maintainence
window that occurs at the same time as the daily scripts) then that
daily message will sit in the queue forever. If we at least run
'sendmail -q' once a day, we manually emulate '-q1d' without the "problem"
of sendmail running in the background.

*shrug*

--
Bill Fumerola - Network Architect, BOFH / Chimes, Inc.
                billf@chimesnet.com / billf@FreeBSD.org