Date:      Fri, 13 Oct 2000 13:11:07 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Charles Henrich <henrich@sigbus.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Vinum/Fsck 1TB filesystem

Please don't wrap program output and log files.

On Thursday, 12 October 2000 at 11:30:54 -0700, Charles Henrich wrote:
> When attempting to fsck a 1TB vinum stripe, I get:
>
> ** /dev/vinum/vinum0
> BAD SUPER BLOCK: VALUES IN SUPER BLOCK DISAGREE WITH THOSE IN FIRST ALTERNATE
> /dev/vinum/vinum0: INCOMPLETE LABEL: type 4.2BSD fsize 1024, frag 8, cpg 0,
> size 2101815296

> 2 drives:
> D vinumdrive0           State: up       Device /dev/da0s1e      Avail: 0/513138 MB (0%)
> D vinumdrive1           State: up       Device /dev/da1s1e      Avail: 0/513138 MB (0%)
>
> 1 volumes:
> V vinum0                State: up       Plexes:       1 Size:       1002 GB
>
> 1 plexes:
> P vinum0.p0           S State: up       Subdisks:     2 Size:       1002 GB
>
> 2 subdisks:
> S vinum0.p0.s0          State: up       PO:        0  B Size:        501 GB
> S vinum0.p0.s1          State: up       PO:      256 kB Size:        501 GB
> vinum ->
>
> And fsck exits.  Anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with
> this, or what went wrong?

Well, without knowing what went before, no.  That's why I ask for the
information I do at http://www.vinumvm.org/vinum/how-to-debug.html.
Obviously you'll get this if you forget to newfs, or if newfs fails
for any reason.  It would also be nice to know whether you have ever
been able to fsck this file system: you're pretty close to the
theoretical file system size limit.  I'd like to investigate this,
since we don't see many 1 TB file systems, but at the moment I'm flat
out preparing for the next week of conferences.  Is it possible to
recreate this problem later, and make 2 512 GB file systems for the
moment?

Greg
--
When replying to this message, please take care not to mutilate the
original text.