Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 2000 16:01:13 +0200
From:      Anders Nordby <anders@fix.no>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GDM

On Mon, Oct 16, 2000 at 07:43:38AM -0600, Andrew M. Miklic wrote:
>     I just noticed that gdm is now part of the ports collection, so I
> tried to install it...
>
>     It installs and runs quite nicely, but refuses to correctly
> authenticate any users' passwords--are there any special configuration
> options I should be aware of to correct the problem?  Am I missing a
> much-needed package or something?
>
> P.S. I tried installing the pre-compiled binary version included with
> the 4.1 package collection, but it hung sysinstall during pkg_add, so I
> built directly from the ports collection (10/15/00, at about 2:15
> p.m.)...

# cat /usr/ports/x11/gdm/pkg-descr
GNOME version of xdm display manager

- This port doesn't work on the normal FreeBSD 3.x-RELEASEs because
  those pam is not stable.
  I'm sure this works on 5.0-current, and it may works on 4.x-RELEASE

  You should append those lines to your /etc/pam.conf

# gdm config
gdm     auth            requisite       pam_unix.so     try_first_pass
gdm     account         requisite       pam_unix.so     try_first_pass
gdm     session         required        pam_permit.so

This notes is written by:  Yukihiro Nakai <nakai@FreeBSD.org>

However, gdm is quite useful. It's the only xdm I've got to work as an XDMCP
server with XFree86 4 and using Xsun in SPARC/Solaris as a client.

Cheers,

--
Anders.