Date:      Wed, 18 Oct 2000 22:49:23 +0100
From:      Steve Dobson <sdobson@allstor-sw.com>
To:        "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
Cc:        "'ob-users@ooc.com'" <ob-users@ooc.com>, "'ejc@bazzle.com'" <ejc@bazzle.com>, 'Steve Dobson' <sdobson@allstor-sw.com>, "'freebsd-ports@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ORBacus 4.0 for FreeBSD patches

On Wed, Oct 18, 2000 at 03:34:17PM +0100, Koster, K.J. wrote:

> I have written a few patches to get ORBacus 4.0.3 to compile and run on
> FreeBSD 4.0. I hope that you will find them useful.
>
> If you look at the patches in ob.patch, you will find that my patch to
> ob/demo/chat/X11/Makefile.in does not carry over to other platforms. Someone
> with more "make" knowledge than I should have a look at this.
>
> Since JThreads/C++ is not available for FreeBSD, these patches are for
> single-threaded versions of ORBacus only.
>
> For those who want to use fully automatic installation, I have also added
> the scripts that would otherwise be generated by "runconfig".
>
>     Kees Jan

I am working on a set of patches that will allow JTC to run on FreeBSD.
From work I did a few months ago I managed to get JTC to pass all its
tests!

Unfortunatly that work was lost DOH (I either did it on an old JTC tree
[1.0.10] or on a machine which disk got re-installed, either way DOH!!!)

From memory I had only to make three changes to make to Thread.cpp.

1) Add an entry for task priorities in levelMap.

2) Fake the {get/set}Priority as priorities don't seem to be started in
   FreeBSD.

3) Slightly modify the initilisation of a Thread{Group}.

I have done 1, and belive that I have done 2.

I am currently compling DDD so I can run through one of the programs and
fix the fix the initialisation for 3.

When I have completed this I will be releasing a patch.  I would expect
to do this in the next few days (probably tomorrow). OOC people
would be willing to add FreeBSD to your list of supported platforms?

Kess Jan, I think that modifing OB is the wrong way to get ORBacus to
work on FreeBSD.  As ORBacus already compiles with out JTC on FreeBSD
(see /usr/ports/ORBacus) why are you doing this hack?  If you need the
event service (as we do) then you must be doing some serious re-design of
that part of the code.  As soon as I can get JTC to pass all its test on
FreeBSD then OB should compile without issue.  What are your thoughs.

Please note that for the rest of this week I am working from home, so
please include my home e-mail address (steve@dobson.org) in any
futher communications with me as I may get those emails quicker.

Steve
--
Steve Dobson                  E-mail:       sdobson@allstor-sw.com
Unix Architect                Tel (Direct): +44 1763 264441