Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 2000 17:21:49 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Cc:        "John W. De Boskey" <jwd@FreeBSD.org>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.org>, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/etc rc

In message <200010232046.e9NKkLR01463@grimreaper.grondar.za> Mark Murray writes:
: I have some ideas - I'll be a little slow until vacation ends, then
: I'll be full speed ahead. John - Feel free to play with the etc/rc* stuff.

Personally, I'm thinking seriously of changing that whole guessing
mess to something like
	n=`date %S`
	dd if=/dev/da0s1b of=/dev/random seek=$n bs=16k count=1 \
		>/dev/null  2>&1
as the first few lines of /etc/rc before even fsck.  As it doesn't
require access to file systems.

This does assume three things:
	1) That swap space is random enough (and on da0s1b :)
	2) 16k is enough
	3) swap space is at least 1M in size.
but it is good enough for the fallback case.

As I said at BSDcon, I'd love to see the entropy written by the kernel
on shutdown to the end of swap space on shutdown and read in again
when the system comes back.  This has the advantage of always working
and keeping the bits safer when the secure mode is higher.  Of course
kernel core dumps use this area as well, but that state likely would
be good enough since it is only a starting state and the state
wouldn't be written when a core dump happens.  David G had some
concerns about overloading things like this and suggested a partition,
but had the same concerns about using a partition in such a small name
space (only 5 real partitions after you have /, swap and all).

Warner