Date:      Tue, 31 Oct 2000 10:47:14 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Like to commit my diskprep

I'd like to commit my diskprep program and go fix all the cross
references in the man pages to include a pointer to it.  THe crrent
diskprep code is in

	http://people.freebsd.org/~imp/diskprep

I need to write a man page for it as well.  However, I've had hundreds
of people report to me that this just works for them.  This is on a
wide variety of versions from 4.0-stable through current.  It requires
no kernel changes and writes out both the mbr and freebsd disk label
so modern bioses don't get confused.

usage: diskprep short-dev-name

where short-dev-name is something like ad8 or da4.

I'd put it in /usr/sbin rather than /sbin because it does require
perl.  I'd also mae it build only on i386 at this time because the
alpha port doesn't use MBR disks as the SRM consoles don't use MBR
disks.  Other ports whose boot loader needs to se a MBR disk would
likely need to have it built for them (the ia64 and the mythical k64
come to mind).

I did this a as a perl script because disklabel and fdisk were hard to
use together and Bruce strongly objected to my changing disklabel.  He
didn't want to mix the various layers of disk labeling into disklabel
itself.

Before anyone asks, the  biggest difference between my diskprep and
Matt's recent changes are that diskprep doesn't introduce a new api
into the kernel and doesn't pollute disklabel with functions it
traditionally hasn't done.  Matt's changes put functionality into
edisklabel and the kernel.

Warner