Date:      Thu, 09 Nov 2000 14:25:28 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftp.freebsd.org b0rked?

>On Tue, Oct 31, 2000 at 10:11:38AM +0100, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
>> Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com> writes:
>> > I have seen this with particular firewalls (I think CheckPoint
>> > was one), where they attempt to do state tracking on FTP, and
>> > fail to be able to do that and do address rewriting at the same
>> > time.
>>
>> Not relevant. I'm using real IP addresses and the connection is
>> dropped immediately after the PASS command, no matter what password I
>> actually send. There is a FW1 upstream, but it's supposed to let all
>> traffic to and from my subnet through untouched.
>>
>> David - is there any way we can try to debug this? I guess the first
>> thing to try is if it's specific to dgftpd - do you have another site
>> that runs dgftpd I can test against?
>
>Better late than never? We had a problem with our FW-1 after an
>"upgrade." Here is a source that sums up the different approaches to
>the issue,
>
>  http://www.securityportal.com/topnews/weekly/checkpoint20000918.html
>
>Scroll down to the "Multiple Problems with FTP After Upgrading"
>section. HTH.

   I don't see how dg-ftpd is doing anything wrong. It always replies with
CRLF terminated lines on the command channel as RFC-959 requires. ...so I
don't think this is the cause.
   The problem appears to be a real bug in the checkpoint firewall code.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
President, TeraSolutions, Inc. - http://www.terasolutions.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.