Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 2000 13:54:08 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Kenneth Culver <culverk@culverk.student.umd.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: compiler optimizations

* Kenneth Culver <culverk@culverk.student.umd.edu> [001127 13:47] wrote:
> I'm just curious about something. I noticed the other day that the entire
> linux kernel is compiled with options -O2 -m486. I was wondering if this
> really causes any performance increase and was also wondering if there is
> anywhere on the web that can show this. I am wondering because I was going
> to use these options with FreeBSD (or -march=pentiumpro or -mpentiumpro,
> and -Os instead of -O2).

Yes, the optimization works, however because we still want to support
386s and because of bad experiances with the gcc optimizer in the
past we don't really like to debug problems with kernels that have
high levels of optimization because sometimes it's gcc's fault (or
at least it could be in the past).

If you want to compile the kernel and world like that edit /etc/make.conf
and add your options to CFLAGS:

CFLAGS= -O -pipe