Date:      Fri, 08 Dec 2000 22:03:00 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/pci pci.c pci_if.m pcib_if.m pcireg.h pcisupport.c pcivar.h src/sys/dev/pci eisa_pci.c fixup_pci.c ignore_pci.c isa_pci.c pci_pci.c vga_pci.c pci.c pcivar.h src/sys/modules/agp Makefile src/sys/modules/netgraph/tty Makefile ...

> Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.org> writes:
> > Please *don't* complain about your bridge chipsets etc. not being
> > identified.  Use 'pciconf -lv' instead, or play with
> >
> > load -t pci_vendor_data /usr/share/misc/pci_vendors
> >
> > in the loader
>
> Shouldn't this be the default? The PicoBSD and -tiny folks can leave
> it out, of course, but your average Joe Shmoe doesn't care about the
> wasted memory, and I think leaving it out of the standard install will
> generate a lot of noise on -questions.

I was kinda tossing this up, actually.  In the end, I decided against it.
Adding what is effectively 150K of bloat to the kernel for a few small
strings printed once only just didn't seem worth it.

There are a couple of things that could be done to make this "sexier".
One would be for the loader (which knows how to explore PCI configuration
space) to parse the file and only load strings for devices that are
currently present.

It might also be worth loading the file along with the install kernel,
even if it's not the default.  I'm open to suggestions.