Date:      Thu, 14 Dec 2000 11:36:06 +0100 (CET)
From:      Reinoud van Leeuwen <reinoud@xs4all.nl>
To:        freebsd-database@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PHP4 accessing Sybase with freetds

Quoting =?iso-8859-1?Q?Joaqu=EDn_Hern=E1ndez_Rico?= <joaquinh01@uswest.net>:

> Well,  before I give up and try to Compile PHP from sources,  I want to
> give
> the fBSD ports and myself one more chance:
>
> On a FreeBSD 4.1-Stable box,  I tried installing Apache and PHP (3 _and_ 4)
> with Sybase support from both the CD Packages and the Ports collection.
> Both
> of these installation methods use FreeTDS.   I have checked and rechecked
> all the different configuration files and everything seems to be in order,
> but when I try to connect to our Sybase 7.0 database at work, I get an
> "invalid marker:  0!!" error message.   This happens even when using
> "sqsh",

When you say Sybase 7.0 yuo probably mean Sybase Anywhere 7.0.
I do not nkow abuot the current relases, but it used to be the case that Sybase
Anywhere and Sybase Enterprise had different clients. FreeTSD is an
implementation of the Open Client, which is meant to connect to Sybase
Enterprise.
You can test this by trying to connect to the database from another Open
CLient. If that works, it might be supported these days.

> except that when the connection is attempted by PHP, the error message goes
> into the /var/log/httpd-errors.log file.  Apparently, PHP keeps trying to
> connect indefinitely, for the log file grows until it fills the space
> available in the partition where /var is mounted(100 Mb).  Has anyone
> experienced this?
>
> I guess my next step will be to get the source code for FreeTDS, PHP and
> maybe even Apache and compile it.  Then if that still does not work, I'll
> get the now available Sybase FreeBSD distribution...

I have not succeeded getting the native FreeBSD Sybase libraries to build
anything like PHP of SybPerl on a 4.x FreeBSD box. It might have to do with the
fact that FreeBSD 3.x emulates Redhat 5.x and FreeBSD 4.x emulates redHat 6.x
but I am not sure...