Date:      Sun, 17 Dec 2000 09:00:05 -0500 (EST)
From:      <stanb@panix.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org (FreeBSD Stable List)
Subject:   2nd try Vectra 5/900 total failure to get to boot off of hard disk

I'm going to try this again, since clearly I did not make my original
message cleat. A number of people have written me, that cleary did not
understand the problem, so I must have written a poor problem description.

Thanks for the patience.

I have a HP Vectra CL5/90 that I am totaly unable to get to boot off the
hard disk. I have tried installing from the 4.1 floppies viai ftp. All
seems to go well, the hard drive (20G) is proeprly recofgnized, and the
install proceds normaly. I habe choosen to _NOT_ use "dabgerously
dedicated" I have partioned the drie as follows:

1. / (150M)
2. swap (200M)
3. /var (450M)
4. /usr (remainder)

Since I have only used dangerously dedicated mode in the padt, and since I
am using a custom setup, i may be making an error here. What if any slices,
do I need to mark as bootable by hand?

Since my original atempt at this failed, and since I was pointed to an
article reference a problem with the boot0 code at 1.2 and newer not
working withe some HP Vectras, I repeated the above install. At the end,
before reboooting, I did the following:

1. ftp /boot/boo0 from a workign 3.4 system to /tmp
2. boot0cfg -B -b /tmp/booot0 ada

At this point in time, the machine boots to the "F1 FreeBSS" prompt. Howver
any key I hit, including F1 abd return, just results in an angry beep.

This machine has many settings in the BIOS for hard disk setup, transfer
mode, PIO mode etc. that I do not understand. I also do not understnad the
boot sequence on FreebSD.

I have been fighting this machine for ver 2 weeks at this poiny in time and
am QUIE frustraded.

Could anyone take the time to help eduacte me on what it will take to ge
this amchien booting off the ard drive?

Thansk for you patience.

--
Stan Brown     stanb@panix.com                                    843-745-3154