Date:      Sat, 13 Jan 2001 14:05:51 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Bruce Burden <brucegb@realtime.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /swap too large? What??

:   Hi Matt,
:>
:>     The only thing that can cause this is if you have configured an
:>     absurdly large NSWAPDEV.
:>
:	Well, I had NSWAPDEV set for 20 (why? I don't know!) but
:   according to my calculations, that should still allow a 3.4GB
:   swap, or 2x what I have.
:
:	I have dropped things back to NSWAPDEV=3, and see if that
:   does anything.
:
:							Bruce

    That will fix it.

    Generally speaking the amount of bitmap space the kernel must allocate
    scales with (largest swap partition) * NSWAPDEV.  An NSWAPDEV of 4
    (the default) is reasonable for most swap configurations.  But if you
    have NSWAPDEV of 20 and are only using one or two swap devices (and one
    of them is a gig), then the kernel winds up having to reserve bitmap
    space for (1 gig) x 20 blocks, which wastes a huge amount of kernel
    memory unnecessarily.

    This is all in the name of making interleaved swap work.

						-Matt