Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 2001 18:57:58 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Catch-all m-box <aer001@a1.org.uk>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sshd not working after upgrade to 4.2S from 4.1R HELP

> On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 11:08:29AM -0500, Russell D. Murphy Jr. wrote:
> >
> > I upgraded from STABLE as of last Friday.  I *did* run mergemaster,
> > but I'm also having this problem (ssh fails; scp does not):
> >
> > Jan 14 14:37:59 knock sshd[9674]: no modules loaded for `sshd' service
> > Jan 14 14:37:59 knock sshd[9674]: fatal: PAM session setup failed[6]: Permission denied
> > Jan 14 14:37:59 knock sshd[9674]: no modules loaded for `sshd' service
>
> If you are still getting this message, then your pam.conf is out of
> date. Since you also have an out of date sshd_config and both of these
> are installed by mergemaster, I'm led to suspect you haven't run
> mergemaster with the latest sources.
>
> Kris

I had exactly this problem. I track stable at home and work, and build/install
world regularly.

I did a new installation from the 4.2R CD on Friday, and immediatly cvsup'd
from uk2

I had the problem with pam (after mergemaster) but only realised on Saturday.
I did a new cvsup build/install merge and everything was fine!

Bap.