Date:      Thu, 18 Jan 2001 04:50:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      Malte Sackmann <maltes@theo.physik.uni-bremen.de>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: misc/24424: linux-programms under BSD cannot display all files in the directory

The following reply was made to PR misc/24424; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Malte Sackmann <maltes@theo.physik.uni-bremen.de>
To: David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc: malte.sackmann@physik.uni-bremen.de,
	freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: misc/24424: linux-programms under BSD cannot display all files
 in the directory
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 13:32:58 +0100 (MET)

 On Thu, 18 Jan 2001, David Malone wrote:

 > On Thu, Jan 18, 2001 at 01:51:01AM -0800, malte.sackmann@physik.uni-bremen.de wrote:
 > > Install a linux binary and open for example "/etc/*".
 > > You will not see all existent files in that directory.
 > > You will see always the same randomly chosen 8 files.
 >
 > You are probably seeing the contents of /compat/linux/etc because
 > programs run under Linux compatability look for a version of the
 > file/directory under /compat/linux before they look starting at /.
 >
 > 	David.

 We have shortly  discovered that the content from the /etc diretory
 comes of course from /compat/linux/etc. No question.
 But the problem with other directory contents is still the same!!!!

 For example a mounted cdrom /cdrom with strongly missing directories
 (some appeared, most disappeared) and files or various user/system
 directories. Tested for example with linux netscape (from FreeBSD-4.1.1
 packages), acrobat4 . All programs show the same files/dirs or not.
 We have done some debugging in the kernel source code (mainly
 sys/i386/linux/linux_file.c) and have seen, that indeed the
 getdents function only returns some of the entries of the specific
 directory. But, from this already shrinked converted dir list (with
 missing entries), additionaly some files/dirs lost "on the way" to the
 user program and were never shown by the user program.
 Very strange and serious problem.

 Bye,

 Malte & Stefan