Date:      Sat, 20 Jan 2001 23:42:28 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        Gregory Sutter <gsutter@daemonnews.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [john@sixgirls.org: [dn-articles] FreeBSD problems: newsworthy?]

On Sat 2001-01-20 (13:30), Gregory Sutter wrote:
> This person seems to be having some trouble with the state of his
> ports.  I don't think that the Daemon News article submission address
> is the right place to ask, so I'll forward it here.  Can anyone help him?

I've expressed before, and will express again, my incredible dislike of
this port.mkversion "you have to upgrade or you can't use ports" thing
from a user level.  Especially since we break it, and don't retain
support even for the last release.  I previously offered to maintain
support for the old version of the stuff, provide patches, and so forth,
but Satoshi said he didn't want them in or something.

I don't believe it's incredibly hard to provide this compatibility for
at least the latest release, or maybe even a few releases.  It will also
irritate users less - I get complaints about it from my converts a lot.

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner
nbm@mithrandr.moria.org