Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2001 16:12:01 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>
Cc:        Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ed pccards/Netgear FA-410-TX with miibus

In message <20010122220857.A45526@cichlids.cichlids.com> Alexander Langer writes:
: ed1: device timeout

I've not seen this, but I'll test them harder.

: They seem to work, though.  I have 714 KB/s max throughout.  Is this
: pccard which is the bottleneck?

I've maxed out at about 1500kB/s.  But if you do the math, you'll see
that the pcmcia bus can do 6MHz of 16bit transactions, one per clock,
for DMA.  That's 10-12MB/s at the high end if I'm doing the math
right.  If your bridge is on an ISA bus, that limits you to 4.33MHz or
about 8MB/s.  pio mode I think cuts this down to 1 transaction per
microsecond (but that may be the ISA rate) which limits you to about
2MB/s for ISA.  If memory holds, the 6MHz is just a faster ISA bus
timings, which would make the high end for programmed I/O at about
3MB/s.  That's about 4 times faster than what you are seeing.

I just ran a couple of tests with my 3c589E card.  With an mp3
playing, I got about 690kB/s ftp put preformance (averaged over four
runs with the first tossed out for cache effects).  I got about 998 or
999 kB/s on ftp gets.  The 3c589E is a 10Mbps card, so this is
actually fairly good.  It is connected to a 10/100 switch and the
target machine is 100Mbps fxp card.

I'll test it with the FA card later and see what kinds of numbers I
see.  I have a linksys card that's 100Mbps as well and we'll see how
that performs.  IIRC, I've maxed it out at 1.5MB/s.  The cardbus cards
tend to max out in the 8MB/s range, but I've not even thought about
investigating why it isn't hitting the 10MB/s that it should be able
to hit.  Too many other fish to fry :-)

Ian also told me that there were some problems with the code in that
it took a little while to autonegotiate and had problems with pur
10Mbps hubs.

Warner