Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 2001 13:56:55 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>, Archie Cobbs <archie@dellroad.org>, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/contrib/tcpdump print-smb.c

In message <p05010402b694bfca2ece@[128.113.24.161]> Garance A Drosihn writes:
: If we're going to whine this much about fixing bugs, we're in
: pretty sad shape.  Yes, it would be nice if the "vendor" (in
: this case) picked up the fix, and we did not have the repository
: bloat.

The bug could have been fixed as a vendor branch import, and then when
the real fix came along, it would still be on the vendor branch.  Yes,
this is ugly, but CVS requires you to play stupid games like this
because its support for vendor branches is less than could otherwise
be desired.

: What I don't know is how the repository is effected if the vendor
: does (later on) include this patch.  Do we automatically switch
: to following the "official vendor version" at that point, or do
: we keep adding to the repository bloat because we branched off
: at the earlier point?

It remains off the vendor branch and we have to merge changes to that
file every single time we do an update.  Usually this is automatically
handled by cvs, but sometimes cvs gets confused or it just can't
cope.  Also, it effectively doubles the size of the file because all
deltas are recorded twice.  Once on the normal branch, and once on the
vendor branch.

One could argue that you could change the default branch when this
happens.  However, that breaks cvs update -D, which is considered a
worse breakage than the repo-bloat.

Warner