Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 2001 19:11:10 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Russell Francis <frussell@p1.cs.ohiou.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: possible problem with SMP?

--vni90+aGYgRvsTuO

On Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 02:31:30PM -0500, Russell Francis wrote:

> 50%.  I have a threaded application that also runs but no faster that on a
> UP kernel.  I am just wondering what is going on here any tips on how to
> find out would be appreciated thanks.

This is actually a FAQ. FreeBSD's userland threads library runs within
a single process, so it's not scheduled over multiple CPUs. This is
very efficient for UP systems, but not optimal for SMP machines.

The LinuxThreads port is an example of rfork()-bases threads (it's a
native port of the Linux code) which may be more efficient on SMP for
your application. LinuxThreads is also far from optimal - a project is
underway to Do Kernel-Supported Threading Right (see the list archives
or www.freebsd.org/~jasone/kse) but won't be ready before 6.0-RELEASE,
probably.

Kris

--vni90+aGYgRvsTuO