Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 2001 12:38:35 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        mi@aldan.algebra.com
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/share/mk sys.mk

--G4iJoqBmSsgzjUCe

On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 01:27:54PM -0500, mi@aldan.algebra.com wrote:
> BTW, may be -mcpu=${MACHINE_CPU} can be added to the default CFLAGS now?
> And a  comment, that changing  -mcpu to  -march will, probably,  be even
> better, but will prevent the binaries from being usable on earlier CPUs.

Well, MACHINE_CPU is a list, not a word.  And gcc doesn't support
optimizations for all of the values we will be supporting (e.g. a lot
of ports contain things like 3DNOW! asm code, etc).  You could however
imagine playing games with things like:

.if ${MACHINE_CPU:Mi686}
CFLAGS += -mpentiumpro
.elif ${MACHINE_CPU:Mi586}
CFLAGS += -mpentium
.endif

which may be worthwhile to do.

The -march statement doesnt matter though, since some binaries built
with MACHINE_CPU set will already be CPU-specific (e.g. if you specify
i686 then openssl will use the i686 blowfish code)

Kris

P.S. Trying yet again to move this thread onto -arch where it belongs.
--G4iJoqBmSsgzjUCe

--G4iJoqBmSsgzjUCe--