Date:      Sun, 25 Feb 2001 01:00:26 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>, Nick Sayer <nsayer@FreeBSD.ORG>, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.ORG, cvs-all@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/astro/xglobe/files patch-random

:
:The C standard just gives an example of a portable implementation without
:saying that it is a bad example.
:
:On second thoughts, the standard rand() is somewhat broken as designed.
:"unsigned int" seed limits it to UINT_MAX sequences, and there is no
:way to ask for irreproducible randomness.
:
:Bruce

    Yes, but on the otherhand there are a huge class of applications
    that don't need irreproducible randomness.  For example, games,
    many classes of math problems, EE and other simulations... quite a few
    things do just fine with a standard pseudo-random sequence.  It's only
    security and cryptography where rand() really breaks down.   These are
    certainly important application classes, but they are by no means the
    *only* application class to consider.   I see no reason to marginalize
    'everything else' with a warning.  I'm not that paranoid.

						-Matt