Date:      Sun, 4 Mar 2001 13:05:01 +0100
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Trent Waddington <s337240@student.uq.edu.au>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Stallman stalls again

Trent Waddington said on Mar  4, 2001 at 06:40:14:
> On Sat, 3 Mar 2001, Brett Glass wrote:
>
> > Not true! Barlow wasn't involved in computer technology at all until he
> > got on the Well and then went to the Hackers' Conference in 1985. By then,
> > Stallman was already ranting about GNU. Barlow picked up Stallman's views
> > about copyright at that time. (It's also where he met Mitch Kapor.) I
> > know; I was an organizer of the conference.
>
> Dude, the Grateful Dead were popularising tape trading before they were
> popular, circa 1973.

Well, they didn't permit "bootlegging" and they allowed tape trading
only when no money changed hands -- I think that's the policy of the
surviving members even today.   It's not an anti-copyright stance, imo:
it's just a "lets be friendly to the fans" thing, with perhaps the
added rationale that people who hear your music in other ways first
are more likely to buy your albums later.  They do not permit free
copying of their released albums, even on a non-profit basis.

Nevertheless, I'm not convinced by the argument that Barlow, and
everyone else who disagrees with present-day copyright laws, has been
somehow brainwashed by Stallman.  I don't think he's *that*
influential, and I don't think the issues are so trivial that he's the
only one interested in raising them.