Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 21:47:25 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Udo Erdelhoff <ue@nathan.ruhr.de>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Translators: Need feedback on FAQ reorganization

--lEGEL1/lMxI0MVQ2

On Mon, Mar 12, 2001 at 09:22:09PM +0100, Udo Erdelhoff wrote:
> Hi,
> > On Mon, Mar 12, 2001 at 12:35:18AM +0100, Udo Erdelhoff wrote:
> > > [0] It might be possible to use the "our" repository (i.e. that of the
> > > FreeBSD German Documentation Project) for this purpose. I'll talk to
> > > Alexander Langer (alex@big.endidan.de) about it, it's his box.
> >=20
> > Why do you guys have a separate repository?  Does it make things easier
> > somehow?
>=20
> yes, it does. The three people who are listed in the first commit message
> on freefall aren't committers and a local repository was the only way to
> get the ball rolling.=20

Do they want to be committers now?  If you guys trust them not to screw
up then that's good enough for me.

> The second big advantage of a local repository is the ability to include
> changes that would cause an outcry if somebody took a closer look at
> the markup in the german version.=20

Hmm.

> The german version doesn't have links to man.cgi,=20

Neither should the English version.  If it does, it's a bug.  PR?

> we don't have <emphasis remap=3Dfoo> anymore

Ditto.  Since the other translations key off the English versions, these
changes that you make to the German FAQ to improve it won't then make it
in to any other translations (or the English version).

I think that's a bad thing.

> , the book listings are actually usable,=20

Define usable.

Something I should have added to the ToDo list I posted.  I've got the
beginnings of a "bibliography" book that can contain all the recommended
reading.  Take a look at the attached book.sgml for the idea.

Basically, we'd have a standalong bibliography book, if someone just
wants to see a list of every book we recommend.

And if we have documents like the Handbook, or the FAQ, that also want
to refer to a specific book, the don't have to duplicate the
information.  They can just reference the biblioentry's id, and the
stylesheets will pull in the data.

So we only have one bibliography to list across the entire project.

I don't know yet whether each language should have its own bibliography,
or whether it belongs somewhere under doc/share/sgml/.  Now's as good a
time as any to discuss this in more detail.

> the links to amazon.com work,=20

See my other comments.

> there are no useless > <para></para> around lists,=20

Ditto.

> Nemeth edition 3, ...

Ditto.

> "If it is worth doing, it is worth doing it right."

I agree.  I'd appreciate your help in making sure that all the
translations have been improved, not just the German version.

--=20
FreeBSD: The Power to Serve             http://www.freebsd.org/
FreeBSD Documentation Project           http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/

          --- 15B8 3FFC DDB4 34B0 AA5F  94B7 93A8 0764 2C37 E375 ---

--lEGEL1/lMxI0MVQ2

--lEGEL1/lMxI0MVQ2--