Date:      Fri, 16 Mar 2001 16:37:48 -0800
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>
To:        bright@wintelcom.net
Cc:        jhb@FreeBSD.ORG, cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us, jkh@FreeBSD.ORG, arch@FreeBSD.ORG, sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu, kris@obsecurity.org
Subject:   Re: NO MORE '-BETA'

SIGH...  Since this has clearly become a world-class crisis which
requires that everyone down tools and do nothing else until we've
resolved it, I'll tell you all what.  I'll simply kill the whole BETA
concept and we can happily not revisit this again come 4.4.

3 weeks before 4.4 is due, I'll freeze the tree and not change
anything in newvers.sh or anywhere else which pertains to the release
number.  10 days before 4.4 is due, I'll change it to 4.4-RC.  On the
day 4.4 comes out, I'll change it to 4.4-STABLE.  Quick and easy.

I'll also expect that the ports folks will simply bump the bento
cluster "artificially" up to 4.4-RELEASE by setting the versions there
manually, so the packages will all bear the correct information.

- Jordan