Date:      Fri, 23 Mar 2001 21:44:54 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <oliver.fromme@secnetix.de>
To:        bandix@looksharp.net (Brandon D. Valentine)
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Revised schedule for 4.3-RELEASE

Brandon D. Valentine wrote:

 > >I'll _try_ to put 'em up at ftp7.de.freebsd.org, if I can.
 > >No promises, though, 'cause I'm extremely busy.
 >
 > IIRC that's aliased to ftp.tu-clausthal.de, right?

Right.

 > In that case will
 > you be providing barebones 4.3 ISOs when the release is out?

Yes.

 > I've
 > always loved those, since I can pull them down overnight even on a 56k
 > dialup.

That's why I create them.  :)

 > What would be even better is if there was a barebones CD option
 > that only contained the bindist and was even smaller.

There is one:

-rw-rw-r--  1 inof  bsd  201242624 Dec 05 17:57 4.2-install.iso
-rw-rw-r--  1 inof  bsd  191283200 Dec 05 19:58 4.2-livefs.iso
-rw-rw-r--  1 inof  bsd   88379392 Dec 05 18:16 4.2-minimum.iso

Well, OK, the "minimum" one contains a bit more than just
"bin".  It also contains the catpages, compat*, crypto,
ports and the kernel sources, but no more.  I thought that
these are valuable enough to be included.  These are the
sizes (in Kbytes):

5469	catpages
557	compat1x
349	compat20
470	compat21
1211	compat22
1058	compat3x
10143	crypto
10787	ports
10428	src (kernel sources only)

OK, so leaving those off would save about 40 Mbyte of those
88 Mbytes of the minimum ISO.  Hm.  Sounds like a good deal.
I'll think about it.

Regards
   Oliver

PS:  Please don't ignore my Reply-To's.  They're there for
a reason.  I _do_ read the list, so there's not even need
to Cc me.