Date:      Sun, 1 Apr 2001 17:38:27 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@nc.rr.com>
To:        Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ARG!!! 450 Client host rejected: cannot find your hostnam

Edwin Groothuis:
 |On Sun, Apr 01, 2001 at 07:57:08AM -0700, Randall Hopper wrote:
 |> --- Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org> wrote:
 |> >
 |> > Can't you drop the mail at your firewall and let that handle the
 |> > stuff? At least that IP-address and host-name are known on the
 |> > internet? (at least I hope so :-)
 |>
 |> Thanks for the suggestion, but they're not.  Its current DHCP IP
 |> is 24.25.3.190 which has no DNS entry...
 |
 |Aha, so that's the problem. Please send an email to abuse@rr.com
 |(as seen in the soa-header for rr.com and 25.24.in-addr.arpa) with
 |the fact that they don't have a reverse entry for your IP address
 |(and thus probably more) and ask if they can add it.

Time Warner RoadRunner (cable modem service) ignores all request to
register DNS hostnames for all their IPs (we here have been down that path
before).  So effectively this shuts off everyone on Time Warner cable modem
service from "directly" mailing to the FreeBSD mailing lists.

Seeing how that is the default sendmail config, it locks all but sendmail
hackers and the most persistent users off the FreeBSD lists (newbies can
just forget it).  They can't even mail to the lists to get help with the
problem.

Randall

--
Randall Hopper