Date:      Tue, 10 Apr 2001 04:07:34 -0600 (MDT)
From:      FreeBSD <freebsd@XtremeDev.com>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Cyrus-IMAPd and postfix

Hello, I've recently installed FreeBSD 4.3-RC fresh (HD crash), and
installed postfix (got that working) and just installed cyrus imapd. Thus
far I've had no luck with it. When I installed it, I did:

1. passwd cyrus (to give cyrus as password)
2. /usr/local/etc/rc.d/pwcheck.sh start (to start the pwcheck daemon)
3. saslpasswd cyrus (created /usr/local/etc/sasldb with root:wheel perms)
4. /usr/local/etc/rc.d/imapd.sh start (to start the master program)

A tail of /var/log/messages gives me:

Apr  9 20:07:12 MX_SRV master[22057]: process started
Apr  9 20:07:13 MX_SRV ctl_mboxlist[22059]: running mboxlist recovery
Apr  9 20:07:13 MX_SRV ctl_mboxlist[22059]: done running mboxlist recovery
Apr  9 20:07:13 MX_SRV master[22057]: process 22060 exited, status 1
Apr  9 20:07:14 MX_SRV master[22057]: ready for work
Apr  9 20:07:14 MX_SRV ctl_mboxlist[22061]: checkpointing mboxlist
Apr  9 20:07:14 MX_SRV ctl_deliver[22062]: DBERROR: dbenv->open failed: No
such file or directory

I don't know what ctl_deliver is trying to open, the cyrus-imapd installed
the latest Sleepcat DB3 from the ports, and it's trying to duplicate a db?

And when I tried telneting to localhost port 143, it connects but then
disconnects immediately with this in /var/log/messages:

Apr  9 20:14:28 MX_SRV service-imapd[29754]: unable to set close on exec:
Bad file descriptor
Apr  9 20:14:28 MX_SRV ^B

At this point I am stumped. A quick search through
http://www.freebsd.org/search and http://groups.google.com reveals nothing
on cyrus, freebsd, and dbenv open failed. Could someone perhaps give me a
hint as to what I might have missed in my install of Cyrus-imapd-2.0.12_3?

One other question. As I understood it, Cyrus is a blackbox mail server.
But I thought the pwcheck program allows existing users in /etc/passwd to
automatically have an account? Or have I misunderstood the point of
pwcheck? If what I believe is true, then what happens if I have duplicate
users? Users that exist in Cyrus and in the BSD system? Or for that
matter, how do you add users to just the cyrus user db? Or is it a
one-or-the-other situation where I either have cyrus use only those in the
passwd, or have all users exist only in the cyrus userdb? I've managed to
confuzzeled myself here pretty good, I would really really appreciate any
help/hint/pointers anyone can toss my way. Thanks in advance.