Date:      Fri, 20 Apr 2001 16:20:54 +0100
From:      Rasputin <rara.rasputin@virgin.net>
To:        "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
Cc:        java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Jini on BSD

* Koster, K.J. <K.J.Koster@kpn.com> [010420 15:49]:
> Dear Rasputin,
>

> > Quick question - anyone managed to get this working?
> >
> > I almost have, but JavaSpaces are giving me grief.
> >
> Could you elaborate? Error messages would be nice, for example. :)

Sorry :) I just posted a novel to Sun's javaspace-users list,
and didn't want to repeat myself in case you guys were on there too.

Basically, I'm running Outrigger as a persistent space under rmid.
I think. But nothing an connect to it.
I'm pretty sure rmid is restarting services properly
[by counting the number of child processes :) ]

All the example applets only find the local lookup service, even the SpaceBrowser
(which is odd).

All the policy files are 'AllPermissions', I get no errors anywhere.

The only non-standard setup I have is
a) I serve *dl.jar files for clients with apache.
b) My JavaSpace has a non-standard name.
(I've overridden that where I could).

The RayTrace example needs a lot of tweaking (i have to explicitly tell it
to use the lookupservice on localhost, which I didn't think I'd need to)

It them gets as far as 'waiting for NeoTokyo' (the space name)
and just sits there, repeating that voer and over.

I can't see any traffic across any interface
(although I'm not sure yet what protocols/ports dicovery uses -
multicast?)

Without code for the examples themselves (maybe I'm missing it),
it;'s very difficult to debug further. I'm not on the box at present,
but I can forward the relevant batches to anyone who's interested.)

This is using the latest FreeBSd native JDK and the Jini bundle, both
installed last Sunday.

Thanks.
--
"Today, of course, it is considered very poor taste to use the F-word
except in major motion pictures."