Date:      Mon, 7 May 2001 08:58:25 -0500
From:      David Huff <david@ti.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   XFree86 4.0 for Dummies ?

Hi,

I'd like to get X working under FreeBSD 4.3 on my newly built system:

Asus A7Pro mainboard (VIA KT133 chipset)
AMD Duron 850
256 Mb PC133 memory
ATI Radeon 32 Mb DDR AGP card

From my examination of the FreeBSD 4.3 CD I burned from the ISO image, it
looks like it ships with XFree86 3.3.x, and I need at least release 4.0.2
for my Radeon.

I've looked at the binary packages under:

  ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-4.3-release

and can't determine just which I should download. Would someone be so kind
as to list the packages I'd need ? I'd assume at least one from
.../x11-servers + perhaps a lib dependency or two ?

Once I have pkg_add-ed what I need, could someone let me know what the
XFree86 4.0.x version of /usr/X11R6/bin/xf86config is ? I've configured
XFree86 3.3.x a number of times with various tools, but have never touched
4.0.x until now :)

If there's a decent website/FAQ/readme avail on this, pointers would be
appreciated.

Thanks much,
--
    _