Date:      Tue, 8 May 2001 01:51:18 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@mail-in.net>
To:        mi@misha.privatelabs.com, eric@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        kris@obsecurity.org, knu@iDaemons.org, kris@FreeBSD.ORG, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.ORG, cvs-all@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: port policies

On Mon, 7 May 2001 15:44:03 -0400 (EDT), Mikhail Teterin wrote:
> On  4 May, Eric Melville wrote:
> >> Hmm..don't know of any ports which do this actually. It's likely to be
> >> safer (than using high -O values) though, because the author
> >> presumably tested the build actually works with that value, and -j is
> >> more of a deterministic thing (except for race conditions in the
> >> build) than -O is.
> >
> > These days, make -j (>1) may well be safer than gcc -O(>1), but it still
> > causes headaches for people with slower hardware and less memory. Yes, the
> > list of ports that do this is very small, but it's still fairly lame. I do
> > like proposed idea of a tunable -j number for usage across the tree.
>
> I'd love to see the example pioneered by the qt port to become part of
> the bsd.port.mk. And, the default number of jobs should be something
> like double the number of processors. available.

No way! The default should be exctly 1 job, no matter how
many processors one has. If you think that you have enough
CPU/memory you can always increase that limit.

We don't officially support -jN even on the /usr/src, which is
usually much better maintained and tested in various conditions
that /usr/ports.

> The port should then
> need to define:
> 	PARALLEL_SAFE=	yes
>
> I'd reject the "slower hardware" part of the argument, leaving only the
> "less memory" part :) The ports (I try to add -j in my ports wherever
> possible) build faster for more users that way, and _still build_ on
> low memory machines.

One big company from Redmond also presumes that "all users
want what majority mants" and we all know what the result is.
Please don't follow bad practice.

In summary: I'm all for adding PARALLEL_SAFE but think that
default number of jobs should be 1.

-Maxim